- Faraday’s Law
- Magnetic Field
Play with a bar magnet and coils to learn about Faraday’s law. Move a bar magnet near one or two coils to make a light bulb glow. View the magnetic field lines. A meter shows the direction and magnitude of the current. View the magnetic field lines or use a meter to show the direction and magnitude of the current. You can also play with electromagnets, generators and transformers!
Sample Learning Goals
- Predict the direction of the magnetic field for different locations around a bar magnet and an electromagnet.
- Compare and contrast bar magnets and electromagnets.
- Identify the characteristics of electromagnets that are variable and what effects each variable has on the magnetic field’s strength and direction.
- Relate magnetic field strength to distance quantitatively and qualitatively.
- Identify equipment and conditions that produce induction.
- Compare and contrast how both a light bulb and voltmeter can be used to show characteristics of the induced current.
- Predict how the current will change when the conditions are varied.