Een hex-editor is een computerprogramma waarmee binaire bestanden bekeken kunnen worden. In deze programma’s kan de hexadecimale waarde van de bytes van het bestand bekeken worden en vaak ook nog de bijbehorende decimale of binaire waarde. Een hex-editor kan gebruikt worden om bestanden die niet of nauwelijks leesbare tekens bevatten te bekijken en bewerken.
Veel hex-editors tonen ook de ASCII-representatie van de bytes. De bytes die geen leesbaar teken hebben worden in de ASCII-representatie als punt weergegeven.
HxD is a carefully designed and fast hex editor which, additionally to raw disk editing and modifying of main memory (RAM), handles files of any size.
The easy to use interface offers features such as searching and replacing, exporting, checksums/digests, insertion of byte patterns, a file shredder, concatenation or splitting of files, statistics and much more.
Editing works like in a text editor with a focus on a simple and task-oriented operation, as such functions were streamlined to hide differences that are purely technical.
For example, drives and memory are presented similar to a file and are shown as a whole, in contrast to a sector/region-limited view that cuts off data which potentially belongs together. Drives and memory can be edited the same way as a regular file including support for undo. In addition memory-sections define a foldable region and inaccessible sections are hidden by default.
Furthermore a lot of effort was put into making operations fast and efficient, instead of forcing you to use specialized functions for technical reasons or arbitrarily limiting file sizes. This includes a responsive interface and progress indicators for lengthy operations.
- Available as a portable and installable edition
- To edit the main memory
- Memory sections are tagged with data-folds
- Disk-Editor (Hard disks, floppy disks, ZIP-disks, USB flash drives, CDs, …)
- RAW reading and writing of disks and drives
- for Win9x, WinNT and higher
- Instant opening regardless of file-size
- Up to 8EB; opening and editing is very fast
- Liberal but safe file sharing with other programs
- Flexible and fast searching/replacing for several data types
- Data types: text (including Unicode), hex-values, integers and floats
- Search direction: Forward, Backwards, All (starting from the beginning)
- File compare (simple)
- View data in Ansi, DOS, EBCDIC and Macintosh character sets
- Checksum-Generator: Checksum, CRCs, Custom CRC, SHA-1, SHA-512, MD5, …
- Exporting of data to several formats
- Source code (Pascal, C, Java, C#, VB.NET)
- Formatted output (plain text, HTML, Richtext, TeX)
- Hex files (Intel HEX, Motorola S-record)
- Insertion of byte patterns
- File tools
- File shredder for safe file deletion
- Splitting or concatenating of files
- Basic data analysis (statistics)
- Graphical representation of the byte/character distribution
- Helps to identify the data type of a selection
- Byte grouping
- 1, 2, 4, 8 or 16 bytes packed together into one column
- “Hex only” or “text only”-modes
- Progress-window for lengthy operations
- Shows the remaining time
- Button to cancel
- Modified data is highlighted
- Unlimited undo
- “Find updates…”-function
- Easy to use and modern interface
- Goto address
- Overwrite or insert mode
- Cut, copy, paste insert, paste write
- Clipboard support for other hex editors
- Visual Studio/Visual C++, WinHex, HexWorkshop, …
- Ctrl+Shift+Number (0-9) sets a bookmark
- Ctrl+Number (0-9) goes to a bookmark
- Navigating to nibbles with Ctrl+Left or Ctrl+Right
- Flicker free display and fast drawing