Prusa i3 Improved for laser cut
We found latest Prusa i3 printer design, the one Josef Prusa showed at Makerfaire this year in New York, for its elegant simplicity, but hinge like connection between Y axis assembly and frame needed improvement, in our opinion.
Using CAD software we reworked Prusa i3 design:
- Laser cut frame was stiffen by adding two angle members connected to the rear side of Y axis assembly.
- Original, printed Z Axis mounting parts proven to be easy to break, which is why we replaced them with stronger laser cut parts.
- We did not like loose ends on Z Axis lead screw (similar to Printrbot design), therefore we added miniature flanged ball bearing on each side, to support lead screws on the top.
- All printed plastic parts were slightly changed, we felt that we should give them additional strength and better cosmetic appearance.
- Y axis assembly can be removed and installed back in a minute. Convenient for transportation or shipment.
- Dimensions and axis travels of original Prusa i3 preserved.
You will need (for now we using mixed SAE and metric parts):
Smoth Rods (8mm)
X-Axis: 2 x 15″
Y-Axis: 2 x 16″
Z-Axis: 2 x 12.5″
- If you purchase 36″ (1M) smoth rods, you will need 3 of them
3 x 8.5″
1 x 12″
2 x 17.5″ (18″)
- it will take total 2 x 36″ (1m)
5 mm for Z- Axis: 2 x 12″
We stil working on instructions and complete BOM.
Kit available for purchase.
Happy New Year to all!!!
|ITEM NO.||PART NUMBER||QTY.|
|1||Frame, Laser Cut Plywood or MDF, Ver 2||1|
|2||Stepper Motor, NEMA 17||4|
|3||Z Shaft 8mm Dia, 320mm, McMaster, 88625K67||2|
|4||M5 Threaded Rod, 305mm, McMaster, 98861A060||2|
|5||Phillips Head Screw, M3 x 10, McMaster, 92005A120||10|
|6||Z Coupler, PVC Tubing 4 ID x 40mm, McMaster, 5006K65||2|
|7||X Shaft 8mm Dia, 384mm, McMaster, 88625K67||2|
|8||X End Motor, Printed||1|
|9||Phillips Head Screw, M3 x 20, McMaster, 92005A128||4|
|10||LM8UU Linear Ball Bearing||10|
|11||Nut, M5, McMaster, 90591A146||8|
|12||2GT 24T Pulley, Misumi, GPA24GT2060-B-H5||2|
|13||Nut, M3, McMaster, 90591A121||22|
|14||Phillips Head Screw, M3 x 16, McMaster, 92005A126||29|
|15||X End Idler, Printed||1|
|16||Ball Bearing, 5x16x5 mm, 625ZZ||4|
|17||Phillips Head Screw, M5 x 20, McMaster, 92005A328||2|
|18||X Carriage for GT2 2mm Belt, Printed||1|
|19||X Belt Clamp, Printed||1|
|20||Phillips Head Screw, M3 x 14, McMaster, 92005A124||1|
|21||Ball Bearing with Flange, 5x10x4mm, MF105ZZ||2|
|22||Square Nut, M3, Fastenal, 11510909||19|
|25||Phillips Head Screw, M2 x16. McMaster, 92005A037||6|
|26||Nut, M2, McMaster, 90592A004||6|
|27||Prusa i3, Z Shaft Cup, Prined||2|
|28||Phillips Head Screw, M3 x 12, McMaster, 92005A122||12|
|29||Y Axis Threaded Rod, 0.325inch x 430mm, McMaster 98914A030||2|
|30||Y Corner, Printed||4|
|31||Y Shaft 8mm Dia, 405mm, McMaster, 88625K67||2|
|32||Y Axis Threaded Rod, 0.325inch x 209mm, McMaster 98914A030||3|
|33||Y Axis Threaded Rod, 0.325inch x 275mm, McMaster 98914A030||1|
|34||Y Idler for 625ZZ, Printed||1|
|35||Y Motor Mount, Printed||1|
|36||Table , Laser Cut||1|
|37||Y Bearing Holder, Printed||3|
|38||Y Belt Clamp, 2GT 2mm Belt, Printed||1|
|39||Compression Spring, 0.18 x 0.25 Inch, McMaster, 9657K258||4|
|40||Heat Bed, PCB||1|
|41||Washer, 0.325inch ID, McMaster, 91083A030||38|
|42||Hex Nut, 0.325-18, McMaster, 95462A030||38|
|43||3D Printer Controller Board, Sanguino||1|
|44||Unthreaded Spacer, Nylon, McMaster, 94639A200||4|